Matrix is an open standard for interoperable, decentralised, real-time communication over IP. It's designed to replicate conversation data across multiple servers via federation (there are no single points of control or failure for conversations or their history). Matrix is designed to make it easy to bridge existing communication apps and networks.
- fix the problem of fragmented IP communications: letting users message and call each other without having to care what app the other user is on.
- act as a generic HTTP messaging and data synchronisation system for the whole web.
- allowing people, services and devices to easily communicate with each other.
- empowering users to own and control their data and select the services and vendors they want to use.
- Riot - universal secure chat app (built on Matrix) entirely under your control (you own your data). Stop juggling different apps for different teams, suppliers and networks by bridging other services, like Slack and IRC.